Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Dress Fitting

Last night I had my first appointment with the alterations lady at the dress shop. She was a hoot and a holler, let me tell you. She was a very nice lady and obviously had lots of experience, but that didn't stop me from getting slightly uneasy when she started cutting off the bottom of my dress with a scissors. eek Is this normal?! I was expecting a lot of pinning action! Anyway, I'll get to that in a minute.

It started off harmless enough. I put on my slip, dress, and shoes and proceeded out to the main area of the shop. Then I stood very still and quiet while she started pinning up my boob area...because we all knew that would have to be taken in! What wonders a few pins make. It felt much better after that. Then she asked me if I wanted cups sewn in. It actually felt okay without them, but after she put one in one side and I compared it was obvious I needed the cups. It at least gave the illusion that I had some shape up there! razz

Then came the scary part. She had me hold up the top layer of my dress, while she started snipping away with the scissors on the under-layer of my dress. I told her I was glad she was doing that and not me, to which she replied "I get that all the time." Ha. And then this random customer watching the whole thing mentioned how scary this must be, to which I replied "It's only the under-layer so I'm not worried." And the alterations lady said, "Oh, I'm doing this to the top layer too." What? Oh boy. Seriously...no pins, just scissors?! I tried not to look at she snipped away the pretty ivory taffeta from the top layer of my dress...and before I knew it, it was over. And I have to say, it looked great. She cuts a very straight line! biggrin Crisis averted.

The final step was to find the perfect bustle. Due to the cut of my dress, she said the french bustle would look funny, so she just started playing around and doing her own thing. What she came up with looked fabulous. It followed the cut of my dress perfectly and didn't look uneven, as the french bustle would of. I'll leave you with a sneak peak of the bustle she came up with. I have my next appointment in a month, so hopefully everything with the dress will be perfect and I'll be able to take it home for the last time before the wedding!

0 comments:

Labels

Books from my LibraryThing

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP