Monday, July 30, 2007

JC Bridal Show

The Jefferson City Bridal Show on Sunday was a fun time! This was actually their smaller one--there were only 40 vendors--and they have a much larger one in January. My mom, my childhood best friend Lindsey, and I made the most of it, however, browsing around and talking to someone at most every booth. One of my girlfriends mentioned that I should print off mailing labels with my name, address, and contact information on them, and I'm so glad I listened to her! Most every booth had some sort of giveaway drawing, so all we had to do was pull off a sticky label and attach it ...instead of writing my name a gazillion times! As far as ideas, the bridal show definitely got me thinking about things such as bridesmaid dresses, wedding cakes, and photographers. I'm certain now that I'm striving for a square wedding cake...I absolutely LOVE the modern look the squares bring. I took a snapshot of one that I saw...


We also flipped through portfolios of several photographers. Most weren't terribly impressive, but there was one that was absolutely fabulous...for $4500!! What I liked about that particular photographer's style was that he brought the photo journalistic approach to his pictures--the more candid, artsy sort of look. What I would love to find is someone who can do both the traditional group shots and incorporate some of the artsy shots in as well. And, of course, being able to afford them would also help! I know there are tons of options out there and I'm confident I will find someone who is affordable and qualified when I start looking. The reception facility is on the top of my priority list right now!

Another discovery we made is that Alfred Angelo has a burnt orange color available for bridesmaid dresses as well. Alfred Angelo and Bill Levkoff can be starting points for bridesmaid dress shopping. One vendor had mannequins setup with chocolate brown dresses next to a black tux, which also looked quite sharp. The dark brown would be my second choice if we can't get the orange to work out...

Of course now since the show, the wheels in my head are turning even more. How fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous,  July 31, 2007 at 7:34 PM  

Square, groovey!

Ahh yes, all of the good photographers know they're hot stuff and therefore the hefty price tag. I always thought, if only there was someone just trying to break in to the photo world, that also just so happened to be really good.
We settled on someone who would get good quality images, but not necessarily real artsy.. figuring we could always crop and re-print later.. or rely on friends and family to get some other good shots.

Anonymous,  July 31, 2007 at 10:04 PM  

Hi Kelley

I think the square cake idea is wonderful - really quite different and as you said - "very modern"

I know from experience that a good photographer is so important - also a good videographer - this area will probably require a fair amount of shopping around - but the good thing is that you have the time to be "picky"

Kym August 5, 2007 at 6:49 PM  

L-O-V-E the square cake! Very classy.
As for the photographer, a suggestion would be to see if you could also find someone who might take your "engagement" photos as a part of the package. Louie and I had that done as a part of ours, and he then framed one of our shots and it was displayed at the wedding reception for everyone to sign their well wishes on the matting...still have it hanging in our hall, and love to re-read it from time to time!

Just a thought!

Anonymous,  August 6, 2007 at 11:35 AM  

Hey! I have one of those HUGE autograph mats from my receptions hanging in my house as well!!! A truly wonderful friend bought it for me as a wedding gift ;-) !!!!

I LOVE the square cake as well, and you and Nate are truly modern people, so that is so perfect for you! It immediatly made me think of the plates and dishes in your house, so clearly...you are making the right choice with the square cake.

As for the photographer...I think the most important thing is to find someone who will include a CD and copyright release with your images. It is so great to have our wedding pics on CD to print off whenever we need...NOT at those expensive photographer prices. Obviously, being able to take good pics is a must too!!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP