Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Baking Rewind

I'm sure you're all getting a little tired of my posts on baking, but I promise this is the third out of three. I can't end my baking series without sharing with you my new favorite cookie....

Before Christmas, we had a Christmas party at our house for some of Nate's co-workers. As usual, Nate made a ton of food and I decided to contribute by baking a couple of items. Item #1 was eggnog cupcakes, which I regrettably somehow have no pictures of. cry They were oh so yummy, for you eggnog lovers out there. Item #2 was Chocolate Toffee Cookies. Oh. my. gosh. Can you hear the angels singing? Just saying the name makes my mouth water.

The highlight of mixing these babies up was that I got to use our KitchenAid stand mixer for the first time... Beat batter for 5 minutes? No problem! Stirring in the toffee and nuts at the end did give my arm a bit of a workout, so don't think I got off unscathed.

One warning about this recipe, the dough is a bit sticky. I struggled a bit one the dough had been out of the refrigerator for a couple of batches, so I kept putting it back into the fridge in between. An option that was mentioned on the Smitten Kitchen blog where I got this recipe, was to do these as slice and bake cookies. I may give that a try next time.

The best part about this recipe? Well, besides the toffee, nuts, and chocolate....was that a bit of sea salt was sprinkled on the top of each cookie before baking. And chocolate and salt is a fab combo!

These came out warm and gooey and it was so hard not to immediately bite into one.


The toffee melts inside the cookie when baked and the cookies themselves are so chewy. And the salt on top....heaven!


And, even thought this recipe makes a lot of cookies, I would recommend making the whole batch. You won't be sorry. I had two ladies request the recipe after trying these, so here it is for you:

Just one piece of advice, be ready to exhibit some self control so you don't eat the entire batch!

Chocolate Toffee Cookies

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

1 3/4 cups (packed) brown sugar

4 large eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

5 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered English toffee bars (such as Heath), coarsely chopped

1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped

Flaky sea salt for sprinkling (optional)


Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; whisk to blend. Stir chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.


Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.


Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts. Chill batter until firm, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Drop batter by spoonfuls onto sheets, spacing two inches apart. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt, if you’re using it. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP